What Tricks Can I Teach My Dog?
It doesn’t take an expert trainer or dog whisperer to get your dog to perform tricks. With little patience and some tasty treats, most dogs learn a variety of fun tricks.
The thing is, dogs are naturally adept at learning tricks. After all, they’ve been domesticated for thousands of years and have evolved to understand human cues and commands. The only challenge is you; it’s up to you to figure out how to teach your dog tricks in a way that’s both fun and effective.
Note: It’s never too late to teach your dog tricks. Whether your dog is a puppy or an adult, he can learn new tricks. There’s no truth to the adage “you can’t teach an old dog new tricks,” and you’ll soon find out if you start teaching your dog.
Now let’s get started!
1 – Give me that paw shake!
One of the first tricks you’d teach your dog is how to give a paw shake. It’s a classic trick that looks cute and is sure to impress just about everyone. Here’s how you do it:
- Let your pup sit in front of you and offer him a treat.
- Hold the treat close to his nose so he can smell it.
- Say “shake” or “paw” as you move the treat from his nose to your hand.
- When he lifts his paw to get the treat, give him the treat and praise him.
- Repeat this process until he does it on command.
2 – Speak!
Another classic trick is teaching your dog to speak or bark on command. It’s simple, but everyone who sees it will be amazed. Here’s how you do it:
- Like in the first trick, make sure your pup sits or stands in front of you.
- Reveal the treat and make him smell it.
- Say “speak” or “bark” as you move the treat from his nose to your hand.
- As he starts to bark, give him the treat.
- Repeat until the time he does it on command.
3 – Roll over
This is one of the most impressive tricks you can teach your dog. It may take some time and patience, but your dog will eventually get the hang of it. Here’s how you do it:
- Teach your dog to lie down in front of you.
- Offer him a treat and hold it close to his nose.
- Say “roll over” as you move the treat from his nose to your hand and over his shoulder.
- Give him the treat or pat him when he starts to roll over.
- Like all the other tricks, repeat this until he does it on command.
4 – Play dead
This trick is sure to get a rise out of your friends and family. It’s also one of the more difficult tricks to teach, so be patient with your dog. Here’s how you do it:
- Like the previous trick, get Fido to lie down.
- Offer him a treat and make sure he smells it.
- Say “play dead” or “bang-bang” while moving the treat from his nose to your hand.
- As he starts to roll over on his back, give him the treat.
5 – Take a bow
This is arguably the cutest dog trick of them all; this one will get some “oohs” and “aahs” from everyone watching. Here’s how you do it:
- Begin by telling your dog to sit or stand in front of you.
- Entice him with a treat and ensure he knows it.
- Say “take a bow” or “bow” as you move the treat from his nose down to the floor.
- As he starts to lower his front end, give him the treat. Don’t forget to praise him.
- Repeat until he does it on command.
6 – Wave that hand!
A “wave” trick is simple, but it’s one of the most adorable tricks you can teach your dog. It’s likewise a great way to get him to greet other people politely. Here’s how you do it:
- Like always, start by having your dog sit or stand before you.
- With a treat in hand, say “wave” or “give me five” as you move the treat from his nose to yourh and.
- As he lifts his paw to get the treat, give him the treat and praise him.
- Repeat until he gets it right.
There you have it! Six fun tricks you can teach your dog. They’re impressive and give you some bragging rights as a proud fur parent. So, get out there and begin training your four-legged buddy. Before you know it, he’ll be shaking paws, taking bows, and playing dead, impressing everyone!